Sharepoint Server 2010 is on its way and it is high time to get ourself familiar with the system requirement of SharePoint Server 2010..
- SharePoint Server 2010 will be 64 bit only.
- SharePoint Server 2010 requires 64 bit Windows Server 2008 (R2)
- SharePoint Server 2010 requires 64 bit SQL Server 2005 or 2008
- SharePoint Server 2010 will support only IE7, IE8 and Firefox 3.x on Windows OS.
- IE6 will not be supported by SharePoint Server 2010
The reason SharePoint platform is upgrading to 64 bit is to utilize the full power of extra bits while using 64 bit bus.
SharePoint performance and scalability can benefit significantly from 64-bit SQL Server and the throughput increases are significant enough for us to make the difficult decision to only support SharePoint Server 2010 on 64-bit SQL Server 2005 or 2008. It has been our strong recommendation for some time that SharePoint Server 2007 customers take advantage of 64-bit SQL Server due to the inherent performance and scale benefits it can provide.
Look out for the space for more news on SharePoint Server 2010.....